In 2012, The Nonprofit Partnership and United Way of Erie County conducted a comprehensive assessment of volunteerism in Erie County over a six-month period. This included researching best practices of other communities, surveying Erie County nonprofits and holding discussions with community partners and volunteer groups.
- The majority of local nonprofits feel they will rely on volunteer support more in the future.
- The most critical need of nonprofits is finding volunteers that are well matched to the needs of the organization.
- There is a need for high-skilled volunteers in the areas of information technology, communications and marketing, special events, fundraising, and office support.
- There are individuals and groups in our community that are looking for opportunities to get involved, but they don?t always know how to find them.
- Providing the necessary capacity building support to the nonprofit community, enabling them to identify and develop meaningful volunteer opportunities at their respective organizations
- Building on existing partnerships with area school districts, universities, and businesses to better develop volunteer engagement strategies and coordination efforts
- Using a common platform to house and manage volunteer opportunities so community members can search a diverse set of opportunities and find one that matches their skills and interests
Additional information: Check out our Resource Page for additional information for nonprofit organizations and volunteers.
fosters civic responsibility, and fulfills vital needs.
Tips for Finding the Right Volunteer Opportunity
There are many volunteer opportunities available locally, but every assignment is not going to be right for every volunteer. To make the most of your experience, consider the following questions before you start searching for volunteer opportunities:
- Are there specific issues that you are passionate about supporting? (i.e. Youth mentoring, Mental Health, Homelessness, etc.)
- Are there certain types of organizations that you wouldn't be interested in volunteering at?
- Do you want to be,on the front lines, working with clients, or would you be more comfortable in a behind-the-scenes role in the office?
- Are there specific skills and expertise that you are looking to use as a volunteer?
- Are there new interests you would like to explore as a volunteer?
What Time Commitment Can You Make?
- Are you looking for a short-term commitment or a long-term opportunity?
- How many hours each week do you have available?
- How flexible is your schedule? (Can you volunteer any time? Only mornings? Etc.)
Get Connected: Getting Started in 5 Easy Steps
Get Connected Volunteer Coordinator
Chuck Barris, best known as host of the TV series "The Gong Show" and…
To his friends, Martin McGuinness was the Nelson Mandela of Northern…
Former US President Bill Clinton has led tributes to Martin…