Trespassing Riverside Inn Police Tape is Unsafe and Illegal

A word from the General Manager and Cambridge Springs Police

ERIE, Pa - Days later, hundreds of people continue visiting the site of the Riverside Inn fire, but some are crossing the police tape. 

Doing that is not only unsafe, it's illegal.
 
Nearly two days after the fire started, flames ignited again at Riverside Inn, once again calling crews to the scene.
 
These unpredictable hot spots are one reason the "DO NOT CROSS" tape surrounds the property.
 
Also, as early as Tuesday evening, the Cambridge Springs Police were getting reports of trespassers.
 
Crossing the police tape is considered a misdemeanor in the third degree and could mean jail time.
 
"That is actually an active investigation with the Pennsylvania State Fire Marshall still. We're trying to keep people out of there so they can do their investigation. And figure out what actually caused the fire and to go across there is actually committing trespass...and it's also unsafe. "
 
"Because of the number of people caught trespassing, managers are considering additional security measures."
 
Riverside Inn is looking into putting up fencing around the entire property.
 
"We can't have people getting hurt or going back there or trying to take anything from the scene. We just ask everyone to please have respect for it that way."
 
"Stay away. The lines are up there, you can see what you want to see from there."
 
The Riverside Inn again asks for time and patience from those with reservations. 
 
They say they're waiting on the insurance company, but rest assured, they will reach out to everyone as soon as they have more information.
 
As for an update on the cause of the fire, the Pennsylvania State Police put out a release this afternoon which reads: 
 
"At this time this investigation is still ongoing and classified as an 'Undetermined Fire', pending further interviews and examination. However, to date, and at this point of the investigation it appears to have been an accidental fire which originated in the main kitchen area. The fire then subsequently spread and progresses throughout the interior of the structure resulting in an unfortunate total loss."
 
 

More Stories

Don't Miss

  • 2018 YourErie.com Golf Pass
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Bianchi Honda SkyCam Network
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Contests

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center