Fire crews arrived at the scene just before 4:30 PM Monday afternoon after the second story of the home on McClelland Avenue caught fire in the walls. Three adults and two kids were living in the home with a few dogs and cats at the time. No one was injured as a result of the fire, but the house did suffer major damage. Chief fire inspector Guy Santone tells us the cause of the fire was due to a cigarette butt that slipped through a crack in the window and caused the insulation to catch fire. The American Red Cross is now helping the family with emergency needs and shelter. This has already been a busy year for the Red Cross who has helped numerous fire victims since January. Officials say numbers are at an all time high for fires this year alone. Due to the high numbers of incidents, the Red Cross disaster relief funds could use your help.
Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.