August 8, 2014 - There is relief in northwest Ohio as officials there say the water is now safe to drink. Nearly a half a million people have been under a water ban for three days after a toxic algae bloom contaminated the region's water supply.
A toxic algae bloom on Lake Erie caused by run off from farmlands contaminated the water supply. This green slime covering an area so big it was visible from space!
The toxins that were found in the water can cause liver and nervous system damage. Symptoms include vomiting and numbness.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.