1 puff pastry sheet or use your favorite pie crust rolled to sheet pan size
For Almond Paste:
1 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup sugar
¼ cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons softened butter
2 eggs, beaten (divided use)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
6-8 medium stalks of rhubarb
Sliced apples, strawberries, or other fruit
3-4 Tablespoons sugar
3-4 Tablespoons honey for drizzle
· Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
· Roll out puff pastry sheet to fit the sheet pan and place on parchment paper or spray the pan with non stick cooking spray prior to placing puff pastry on pan.
· In a food processor, combine the almonds, sugar, flour and salt.
· Process until the almonds are finely ground, then add the butter, eggs (reserve a small amount for brushing on crust), vanilla and almond extract.
· Process to a paste, cover and chill for 20-30 minutes until firm.
· Spread the almond paste over the puff pastry, leaving about 1 inch border open.
· Fold the open ends up to form crust.
· Top with strips of rhubarb that you have sliced in half lengthwise and any other cut up fruits that you desire, like apples, pears, strawberries, etc.
· Brush the crust with the extra beaten egg and sprinkle entire tart with sugar.
· Bake the tart 30-35 minutes until the almond paste is golden and puffed and the fruit is tender.
· Remove from the oven, cool, and drizzle with honey prior to cutting and serving.