2 ½ cups rolled oats
¾ cup ground flax seed
¼ cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts , etc)
½ cup shredded coconut
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ cup honey
4 Tablespoons butter, margarine, or coconut oil
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup dried fruit like cranberries. (or you can even add a little dark chocolate)
· Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
· Combine the oatmeal, flax, sesame seeds and almonds in a bowl.
· Spread them onto a cookie sheet that has been lined with foil.
· Toast for about 20-30 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally to not burn them!
· In another bowl, combine the vanilla, honey, butter or coconut oil and brown sugar.
· Microwave or heat this mixture until the ingredients are melted and well blended.
· In a large bowl, combine the salt, shredded coconut, cinnamon and dried fruit.
· When the oat mixture is finished toasted, add it to the coconut mixture and stir.
· Add the honey mixture and stir until well blended.
· Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with wax paper. Spread the mixture into the pan, cover with wax paper and press to compress the ingredients.
· Place pan in refrigerator for at least 2 hours to cool completely.
· Cut into bars. Bars can be wrapped individually and frozen for later use.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.