½ pound smoked sausage, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 Tablespoon garlic
1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning (to taste) (recipe below)
1 cup uncooked brown rice, quinoa or any grain
2 cups diced tomatoes with juice
2-4 cups chicken broth
3 bay leaves
1 pound shrimp
Red pepper flakes if desired
· Heat sausage in skillet or large pot over medium heat that has been lightly coated with olive oil
· Add onion, pepper and celery and cook until vegetables are soft.
· Season with garlic and Cajun seasoning and cook on low 6-8 minutes
· Stir in the rice, tomatoes and chicken broth. Add the bay leaves
· Simmer 20 minutes or until rice is done. Add more broth if needed.
· Stir in the shrimp and cook just until shrimp is pink and no longer translucent in the center.
· Discard the bay leaves and serve!
· Garnish with red pepper flakes if desired
Mix the following together and store in an airtight container to use to bring a little of the South to your favorite entrees.
· 1 Tablespoon paprika
· 1 Tablespoon Garlic Salt or pepper
· 1 teaspoon black pepper
· 1 teaspoon onion powder
· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
· 1 teaspoon oregano
· 1 teaspoon thyme
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.