SeaWolves Sweep Portland in Doubleheader (6-12-13)

ERIE 1-3-0



The trio of Ryan Robowski, Will Clinard and Blaine Hardy combined to toss Erie's first shutout of the season with a 1-0 win over the Portland Sea Dogs in game two of Wednesday night's doubleheader.


The lone run of the game came in the top of the first inning. Eugenio Suarez led off and reached on a two-base error by the left fielder Tony Thomas. Suarez moved to third on a Hernan Perez groundout and scored on a Daniel Fields groundout for a 1-0 lead.


Robowski, in his first start of the season, allowed two hits with a walk and three strikeouts in four innings of work.


Clinard (1-1) tossed two scoreless frames in relief of the starter. He got into trouble in the sixth with runners on the corners and only one out but got out of the jam with a strikeout, throwout to retire the side. It was one of three double plays turned by Erie in the game.


Hardy earned his first save working a perfect seventh with a strikeout.


Erie has won back-to-back games for the first time since winning three straight May 25-27 and are now back in a first place tie with Richmond.

It took extra innings after a one-hour and 10 minute light delay but the SeaWolves snapped their five-game losing streak with a 3-2 win over the Portland Sea Dogs at Hadlock Field.


The SeaWolves jumped ahead on Sea Dogs starter Charlie Haeger in the top of the second inning. Corey Jones and Wade Gaynor each singled with one out and James Robbins was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Jamie Johnson drew a bases loaded walk, scoring Jones for a 1-0 lead. Eugenio Suarez followed with a single, scoring Gaynor for a 2-0 lead.


Erie starter Matt Crouse was brilliant tossing five shutout innings with no walks while equaling a season-high with seven strikeouts. Crouse has allowed just two runs over his last 22.2 innings pitch (four starts). He took the no-decision.


Following the fifth inning, the umpires called for a delay in order to fix a light standard that was not functioning.


After the game resumed, the Sea Dogs tied the game against Erie reliever Tyler Stohr in the sixth. With one out, Heiker Meneses singled and moved to second on a wild pitch. Shannon Wilkerson walked, putting the tying run aboard. Xander Bogaerts singled to center, brining home the games tying runs.


In the eighth, Erie regained the lead against reliever Miguel Celestino. Celestino had tossed two shutout innings and retired the first two of the eighth until Gaynor doubled to left putting the go-ahead run on second. Robbins doubled home Gaynor for a 3-2 lead.


Justin Souza worked a scoreless bottom of the eighth, earning his 12th save by preserving the Erie win.

More Stories

Latest News