Job Title: Director, Newscast
Education: High School
Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Location: Nexstar – WJET – Erie, PA 16509 US (Primary)
Category: Production Operations
Job Type: Full-time
WJET-TV, the Nexstar ABC affiliate in Erie, PA, is seeking a Full Time Newscast Director for our complex, fast-paced live newscasts.
Switches video sources, performs live digital effects and transitions, inserts pre-recorded material, graphics and titles into live and recorded news products in coordination with news producer and rolls commercial breaks during news. Ensures all equipment and facilities are ready before the recording session or live broadcast begins. Leads production team by directing studio camera operators into position and cuing cg operator and audio board operators. Provides training to more inexperienced members of the technical crew when needed.
TD must operate and maintain working knowledge of production equipment such as video switcher, character generator, cameras, audio board, computers, and various automation systems, prioritize production workload based on communication from Creative Services Director, review final on-air product to assure high quality, notify producers of any potential problems, develop and document production control room procedures, communicate issues in a daily written report, troubleshoot technical problems, perform non-linear editing during non-news time and perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education, Experience and Skills:
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications or other related field is preferred or equivalent education/training/directing experience is required
- Ross, Expression, BlackStorm and/or Carbonite experience extremely helpful
- Final Cut Pro experience preferred
- Minimum of 1 year Technical Directing experience strongly preferred
- Must work well under pressure
- Strong people skills are required
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be detailed oriented and maintain high levels of quality control for taped elements during production
- Must have the abilities to manage multiple tasks to meet deadlines
Primary work hours are 3p-midnight, Wednesday-Friday with (1) 1 hour break/day and 3:45p-11:45p Saturday and Sunday, but may vary on occasion
Full Time and Non-exempt (eligible for over time). Weekend duties are primarily Directing. Weeknight hours are primarily Production and may involve posting content to YourErie.com.
Position reports to Creative Services Director
Applicants MUST APPLY ONLINE at nexstar.tv/careers to be considered. No phone calls please.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment background screen required.