BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — The Latest on the sunken tour boat in Hungary’s capital (all times local):
The head of the company whose ship collided last week with a sightseeing boat carrying South Korean tourists on the Danube River in Budapest has expressed his “personal and sincere condolences” to those affected by the “tragic incident.”
Torstein Hagen, chairman of Swiss-based Viking River Cruises, said the company is cooperating fully with the investigation, which is being carried out by Hungarian police.
Nine South Koreans have been confirmed dead, seven survived and 19, including the two Hungarian crew members of the Hableany (Mermaid), are missing.
Hagen said in a statement that his company is “making sure that every resource is being made available to assist” the investigation.
The Ukrainian captain of the Sigyn Viking was placed under arrest for up to 30 days on Saturday, suspected of endangering water traffic causing a fatal mass disaster.
Two bodies found in the Danube River have been confirmed as South Korean victims of last week’s sightseeing boat accident in Budapest.
South Korea’s foreign ministry said Tuesday that a body found near the tour boat on the river floor was a woman in her 50s, while the body of a man in his 60s was recovered 132 kilometers (82 miles) downstream.
Both bodies were recovered Monday.
Nine people, all Koreans, have been confirmed dead. Seven people survived and 19, including the two Hungarian crew members, are still missing.
The Hableany (Mermaid) capsized and sank Wednesday night after a collision at Margit Bridge, in central Budapest, with a much larger river cruise ship, the Viking Sigyn.
Hungarian and South Korean divers are continuing search and recovery efforts.