On April 6, 2018, The Most Rev. Lawrence T. Persico, bishop of Erie, authorized publication of the names of persons who were credibly accused of actions that, in the diocese’s judgment, disqualify them from working with children. At the time, the bishop referred to the list as a living document, and said he would release additional names if new information came to light.
In revising its Policy for the Protection of Children, including the publication of the list, the Diocese of Erie has provided several avenues for reporting abuse. The addition of the six new names listed below is the direct result of these steps.
The diocese is notifying the public and the media of this first change to the list. Subsequent updates will be made at the end of each month as needed. The full list can be found at https://www.eriercd.org/childprotection/disclosure.html.
Update to name already on the list:
Philip J. Pochatko – location updated to Erie, Pennsylvania
Update to name on the list of those under investigation:
John (Jack) Tome – location updated to Lancaster, Pennsylvania
New names added to the list (living)
- Randolph A. Byrd — Crozet, Virginia Former lay school teacher
- Former Fr. Barry M. Hudock — Albany, Minnesota Laicized
- Former Fr. Patrick B. Vallimont – Union City, Pennsylvania Laicized
New names added to the list (deceased)
- Fr. Kevin E. Cray, SDS Was able to function (abuse reported after death)
- Fr. Fidelis G. Lazar, OSB No longer in ministry
- Fr. Andrew W. Pawlaczyk Was able to function (abuse reported after death)
New category added:
- Fr. David Poulson Forbidden to function as a priest