UPDATE: Five people rescued from roof of burning home in Girardville

Local News

Four of the five people rescued taken to hospital, including two children

GIRARDVILLE, SCHUYLKILL COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU-TV) — A family of five in Girardcille rescued from the roof of their burning home on New Year’s morning has been ruled accidental.

According to Girardville Fire Chief Frank Zangari, the home caught fire around 8:00 a.m. Friday. When they arrived, neighbors used a ladder to helped rescue 5 family members who were on the second floor from the roof of the home.

Zangari says two children, who were 11 and 14 years old, were flown to Lehigh Valley Cedar Crest Hospital by helicopter for smoke inhalation. A man who was rescued was taken to Cedar Crest Hospital after he suffered burns and smoke inhalation. A woman was also transported to Lehigh Valley Hospital, Pottsville as a precautionary measure.

Firefighters were able to get the fire out with minimal damage to the home next door.

The investigation concluded the fire originated in the first floor dining room due to malfunction with an electric space heater. The fire has now been classified as accidental.

Trooper Heimbach from Pennsylvania State Police of the Reading Fire Marshal Unit conducted the investigation.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Events Calendar