Hazmat crew called to Hilton Garden Inn

Local News

 Hazmat was called to the Hilton Garden Inn off Upper Peach Street Monday for a chlorine leak.

Erie County Hazardous Response Team suited up in tyvek suits and went in to the Hilton Garden Inn to isolate the chlorine leak and begin cleaning up.

Perry Hi-way Hose Company responded first to a smell of chlorine call around 11:30 a.m.

Fire Chief Kip Hayford says they evacuated the entire building and called in the hazmat crew.

Hayford says the leak started in the pool area on the first floor.

Hayford says, “It’s in the pool. Something went wrong with the pool system or the filter system, according to what we were told. Some chlorinator or something like that.”

One person was treated on scene for breathing difficulties because of exposure.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Events Calendar