More learned about Bolden arrest during preliminary hearing

Local News

The entire incident involving Montrice Bolden’s June arrest was caught on camera, but on Wednesday, more was learned about the moments leading up to the arrest.

During a preliminary hearing for Bolden, Erie Police Detective Christopher Janus testified to the events on the night of June 27 outside of TJ’s Traffic Jam at East 12th and Wayne streets.

Janus said Erie police officers, Steve Deluca and Nick Stadler approached Bolden’s parked vehicle and smelled marijuana coming from the car.

While being frisked, Bolden ran from police and then flicked cigar ash into Deluca’s face and punched officer Stadler in the face, according to Janus.

While trying to be restrained, Bolden reached for his own waist band and began violently tugging on the waist band of Deluca’s belt and attempted to reach for Deluca’s gun.

Two more officers responded to help restrain Bolden before officer Jake Sack struck Bolden two times to the face and abdomen and officer Stadler struck Bolden twice in the head using his knee.

Bolden continued to resist arrest and was tased twice by officers.

According to Janus, Bolden told two officers that took him to UMPC Hamot following the arrest that he fought with police and was apologizing for the incident.

The defense argued that none of the alleged resisting arrest was in the video and that the DUI charge does not stand because he was not operating the vehicle.

The judge agreed and dropped the DUI charge.

Bolden is facing charges of simple assault, aggravated assault, resisting arrest, disarming a law enforcement officer without lawful authorization and other drug related charges.

“I think it was a good outcome for (Wednesday’s) hearing,” Assistant District Attorney Paul Sellers said. “We got two charges of aggravated assault against police officers bound over for court along with simple assault, resisting arrest and attempting to disarm a police officer all of the very serious charges were bound over for court.”

The U.S. Department of Justice and the Bureau of Erie Police continue to investigate the case.

“Everything that they are saying Mr. Bolden did to provoke what happened that day, none of those things were captured in that video,” defense attorney Thomas Fitzpatrick said. “The only thing that was captured on that video was Mr. Bolden being beaten.”

“I almost got killed by police and I’m the one in jail,” Bolden said following the hearing. 

None of the officers involved in the incident were present at  Wednesday’s hearing but will be approached for trial.

Bolden is in the Erie County Prison on $100,000 bond. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Events Calendar