A 18-year-old Ohio woman died from a brain-eating amoeba on Sunday after visiting North Carolina during a church trip.
But what is the rare infection and where does it come from?
The rare brain-eating amoeba is known as Naegleria fowleri and is a single-celled organism that is found in warm fresh water.
The deadly amoeba is inhaled through the nasal passages and will cause symptoms similar to meningitis.
The infection is very difficult to cure and is typically fatal.
There have only been 37 reported infections in America within the last decade.
You can only catch the amoeba by submerging in warm fresh water.
You cannot get it from drinking water or swimming in a clean pool.