St. Vincent ER staff evacuated for a short time due to tarp fire

Local News

A mishap with construction at one local hospital leads to staff being evacuated from a portion of the facility.

It was just after two this afternoon when crews were called to Saint Vincent’s emergency department.  When they arrived, they found a tarp had caught fire while construction crews did some welding on the building.

The smoke from the small fire caused automatic fire alarms to sound in both the ER and the connecting Hardner Building, causing staff to evacuate.  There were reportedly no patients in that area of the building.

Captain Mike Balliett of the Erie City Fire Department tells us, “It was completely limited to the tarp which was already taken off the roof and on the ground when we arrived.  [We] had two other crews go in and check in the ER entrance, the ER area itself, the hallway and the Hardner Building because we also got an alarm from the Hardner Building.”

No damage was reported.  Staff were allowed back in the building after the smoke cleared. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Events Calendar