Two dead following house fire

Local News

Erie Firefighters were met with heavy smoke when they arrived at 752 east 25th street around 3 Friday morning.

“I seen a lot of smoke”,said neighbor Patricia Newby “like everything was going up I saw a lot of smoke no flames but it was some grave damage done “
 
Firefighters say the call reported multiple people trapped inside the home.
 
The Erie County Coroner confirms 66 year Marianne Martin and 15 year old Taylor Troutman were unresponsive when they were rescued from the home and were later pronounced dead at UPMC Hamot.
 
Fire investigators say the fire appears to be accidental but are still unaware of the cause.
 
“Right now we are trying to put the pieces together” said Chief Fire Inspector John Widomski “look at everything we have before we can come up with a cause we have to eliminate any potential cause that might be there.”
 
The Coroner will not be doing an autopsy but is awaiting toxicology reports before ruling on the manner of deaths.
 
Neighbors were in shock Friday night after hearing the tragic news.
 
“Marianne was basically a very good neighbor” said Newby “to live by she minded her own business we talked frequently when we would see each other going in and out of each others homes or cars and we would stop and talk.”
 
Fire investigators say the fire could have been much worse if the upstairs tenants did not have a smoke detector.
 
“And they were alerted by some noise” said Widomski “and they heard a smoke detector so if the smoke detector wasn’t there this could have been a lot worse.”
 
Taylor was going to attend her first homecoming dance this evening.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Events Calendar