UPDATE: A rekindle sends Erie firefighters back to 3002-3004 Elmwood Street Tuesday evening.
ERIE, Pa – An early morning fire leaves two cats dead and several people without a place to call home.
The Erie Fire Department Deputy Chief, Mike Fahey, says a stove was left on, sparking this blaze that sent these Erie residents out onto the streets.
The fire was reported at 4:15 this morning in an apartment building in the 3000 block of Elmwood Avenue.
Chief Fahey says the fire started in kitchen of an apartment on the second floor, moved into the roof, and quickly spread throughout the top level.
The building consisted of five units total and all of the residents are displaced because of the severe damage to the building.
Luckily, all of the residents evacuated safely and without injury prior to crews arrival on scene.
One woman did lose her two of her three cats in the fire.
The Red Cross was on scene assisting the displaced residents.
“We came down right now to take care of the tenants immediate needs and we’re going to see if we can fix them up for right now and see if we can get them some help.”
Residents were allowed to go back into the building to try to salvage some of their belongings once the fire was extinguished.
Chief Fahey says there was significant water damage to the first floor and smoke damage to all levels of the building.