CENTRAL, La. (BRPROUD)- An 11-year-old child was taken into custody Sunday Oct. 11 after allegedly taking a school bus out for a joy ride, then crashing.
BRPD Spokesman L’Jean McKneely said the child drove the bus for nearly 45 minutes across Baton Rouge during the pursuit.
The bus was taken from the 300 block of Elmer St. The school bus belonged to a private owner who subcontracted with the Head Start Elementary, according to McKneely.
BRPD confirms the 11-year-old child was taunting officers as the chase was ongoing.
The child allegedly flipped an officer off as police vehicles drove by.
The child-suspect eventually crashed the bus in front of a home off of Greenwell Springs.
“It was just unbelievable to see something like that,” Homeowner Libby Smith said.
Smith said she was in disbelief when she saw police arrest the boy in her front yard.
“You just don’t think of a 10-year-old boy driving a bus and being in control of a big bus like that,” Smith said.
McKnealy said the 11-year-old told officers he did it “just to do it.”
The child in custody is being charged with theft of a motor vehicle, aggravated flight, three charges of aggravated damage to property and aggravated assault.
The 11-year-old boy took the school bus from Progress Head Start Elementary.
- LIVE- FOX 66 News First @ 10
- AMBER Alert issued for two girls abducted, after two boys were found dead in Leavenworth
- Body of Korean War soldier returned to family over 70 years later
- Drive-thru Greek festival takes place at Assumption Greek Orthodox Church
- Great Clips Salon holds fundraiser for family of Johnny Heubel