ERIE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend women’s volleyball team defeated Wilkes 3-0 in the first round of the 2018 Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) Championships on Wednesday at the Junker Center.
Final Score: Behrend 3, Wilkes 0 (25-17, 25-18, 25-23)
Records: Penn State Behrend (20-10), Wilkes (18-13)
* Behrend picked up its second win in program history over Wilkes. The Lions defeated the Colonels 3-1 last season in the first-ever meeting
* Senior setter Lexi Irwin (Greensburg, PA/Hempfield) tallied 24 assists and team-best eight digs
* Sophomore libero Madison Clapper (Hollidaysburg, PA/Hollidaysburg) tallied a match-high 16 digs
* Irwin and freshman outside hitter Kristin Reiland (Fairview, PA/Villa Maria) combined for eight kills on 10 attempts with no errors in a 25-17 set-one victory
* Behrend had its largest lead at nine (23-14) in the first set before falling 3-0 in the second set and then using a 10-2 run to take the lead for good
* The Lions never trailed in the third set but the Colonels tied it at 23-all before Alex Parra (Pittsburgh, PA/Bishop Canevin) and an attack error by Wilkes secured the win
* Behrend advances to the ECAC Championship quarterfinals and will face McDaniel at host Cabrini University on Saturday at 8 p.m.