ERIE, Pa. – Senior guard Andy Niland (Fairview, PA/Fairview) registered a career-high 31 points to help the Penn State Behrend men’s basketball team defeat Alfred State 72-61 in non-conference action on Tuesday night.
Score: Penn State Behrend 72, Alfred State 61
Records: Penn State Behrend (14-2), Alfred State (8-7)
* Niland scored the first 12 points with four three-pointers in the first 4:21 of the game to make it 12-4
* Niland finished with 15 in the half and added 16 in the second on 7-for-7 shooting from the free-throw line
* The Lions held the Pioneers to 14 points below their scoring average (74.9)
* Behrend never trailed in the game and held a double-digit lead early in the first and again at the end of the second
* Alfred State got within one point in each half to keep it close
* The Pioneers kept the Lions below 50 percent shooting from the field (43.4)
* Dan Wanker (Pittsburgh, PA/South Park) added 14 points while Nolan Nuara (Erie, PA/Mercyhurst) posted a double-double with 10 points and a career-high 10 rebounds
* The Behrend Lions return to action on Saturday in the AMCC Game of the Week at Mt. Aloysius. Game time is 4 p.m.